Make every day Earth Day!
Earth Day is celebrated every year on April 22. With it rapidly approaching, we are reminded of the importance of, and our role in protecting our planet. From our Downtown San Francisco Dental Practice Dr. Edward L. Loev, DMD and the rest of our team and guests are fortunate to have beautiful views of the Bay and far off mountains, we want to preserve this beauty and help you do the same. One doesn’t have to go vegan, eat tofu, and swear off leather to green your dental routine. Here are 5 tips that can help you keep your teeth clean, while also being an earth friend and helping to preserve the environment:
- Do not leave the water running when you brush your teeth. So many people, including some of us at the office mindlessly brush our teeth with the water running. Stop! Turn on the water only to rinse your mouth and toothbrush.
- Try a new kind of toothbrush. Many of us have switched to electric toothbrushes which because of the smaller size of the replacement head reduces waste but for people who still prefer manual brushes try going natural. Try a toothbrush made from recycled or renewable materials and recycle it when it’s time for a new one (ideally every 3-6 months).
- Compost: yes I said it. Compost your toothbrush. If you choose a biodegradable tooth brush you can put it in your compost pile or the green containers that many of us get from our local refuse company. Biodegradable toothbrushes are generally made of corn starch that can be used to help a garden grow instead of clogging landfills.
- Brushing your teeth is not a race! Slow down and don’t brush so hard, be gentle on your gums. It will make your toothbrush last longer, saving you money and reducing waste. It’s also more effective and better for you.
- Floss, you knew we had to throw the dreaded floss in somewhere. By flossing regularly as part of your daily routine, you can help prevent major dental work, saving you money and reducing your carbon footprint.
Take a moment to consider the changes you can make every day to help protect and preserve our beautiful planet this year. If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area and want to learn more about how you can help our planet, check out these Earth Day events.
Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Edward L. Loev, DMD has been practicing dentistry in his Downtown San Francisco dental office for over 40 years. He has surrounded himself with an amazing team of individuals who are committed to patient care and service. Call them today at 415-392-2072 to set-up a complimentary cosmetic consultation or even just a new patient visit if you are in need/want of a new dentist.