Did you know that when surveyed most people rank a healthy, bright smile as a person’s most memorable and attractive feature? In fact, numerous studies suggest that smiling more can even make you appear more approachable, successful and appealing to potential partners or employers than the surly, frowning version of you. Smiling also releases endorphins (happy chemicals) in your body that make you feel better. Some say that with these happy chemicals pheromones (attraction chemicals) are released. As a smile specialist San Francisco Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Edward L. Loev, DMD says he actually believes in the magic powers of a smile. He has seen patient’s personalities transform when they brighten their smiles through teeth bleaching, porcelain veneers, and crowns. Dental implants and Invisalign tooth straightening can transform smiles that appear to have been neglected with missing and crooked teeth into sparkling beacons for the real person that was hiding behind what appeared to be a frown. “Many patients that come to my office for cosmetic dentistry appear less than friendly based on first impressions. This is because they are not confident in their smile. So they either don’t smile or they hide it by tipping their heads or covering it with their hands. Dentistry has come such a long way over the years and there are so many ways to put your best smile forward.” Dr. Loev and his team have put together some tips to help you look your best.
Put your best smile forward:
- Brush and Floss your teeth: Yes, we know that this sounds like a broken record from your youth but the most common tooth stains are those that occur from the food and beverages you consume. Basic dental hygiene coupled with a good rinse of water after meals when you can’t brush can make a huge difference.
- Did you know that dental plaque is kind of like a glue on your teeth and gums? That spinach that got stuck in your tooth, that black peppercorn, the purple smile that you sported at the party last year… all happen more easily when sticky plaque is present. Brush and floss before you head out to minimize your risk of embarrassing food stains later.
- Saliva is really important. It’s your mouth’s natural defense against a lot of things, including bacterial plaque and food debris. Stay hydrated to facilitate a healthy saliva flow by drinking plenty of water, especially if there is alcohol involved. Many medications these days have the side effect of making mouths very dry. In addition to trying to stay hydrated, try chewing gum or using mouth sprays specifically designed for dry mouth.
- As much as your dentist enjoys seeing you, we understand that most of you don’t look forward to your dental visits. Life gets busy, we totally understand but if you’ve ignored your dental visits for a while, then your discolored teeth may be a symptom of one or more dental diseases that have developed without your realization.
- One more tip from your childhood…Eat more vegetables, especially the crisp ones like celery. Dr. Loev’s grandsons like to joke that celery comes with built-in floss. Wow, what a bonus. In addition, the fibrous texture acts as tiny scrub brushes that help remove minor stains from your teeth’s surfaces.
Sometimes, time, genetics or other factors make maintaining or create a bright smile without outside help impossible. For over 4 decades San Francisco Dentist Dr. Ed Loev and his team have been helping their patients present their best smiles. From a good professional dental cleaning to in-office dental bleaching and more comprehensive porcelain veneers, crowns or implants his gentle, experienced and effective team can help you find reasons to smile. Call them today at 415-392-2072 to set-up a complimentary cosmetic consultation or even just a new patient visit if you are in need/want of a new dentist.